In the midst of the Depression, Fort Collins created an Art Deco utility building with classic WPA landscaping. The idea was to make the new municipal power plant (430 N. College) a grand northern entrance to the city.
Smoke stacks and all.
That’s why today few people get to enjoy the most bitchen piece of art we own — the Terra Cotta fountain. Purchased for City Park, it landed at the Power Plant grounds instead. Then again, maybe that’s also why it’s survived to be our oldest sculpture outside of Grandview Cemetery.
The following text is from the Smithsonian Art Inventories Catalog. The photos are mine.
Fort Collins’ Terra Cotta Fountain
Built 1934. Installed 1936.